Thursday, April 28, 2016

35 New Pulp Books To Get You Started

I get asked a lot of questions due to my affiliation with New Pulp and I’d have to say that the #2 question I get asked about it is: “Where do I get started? What should I read first just to get into it? What writers should I be reading?”

I can understand the confusion. There is a lot of New Pulp out there. Some of it excellent. Some it outstanding. Some of it is good, some of it okay and a depressing amount of it just no good at all. Even those of us who write/read/review New Pulp feel the crush of recommending books and writers to those of you unfamiliar with this genre but desperately want to know more. That’s why back in June of 2014 I put together a list of “25 New Pulp Books To Get You Started.” The purpose and intention of the list was simply to give New Pulp virgins a place to start getting their brains wet and see if they liked these waters.

Since then, there’s been a lot more books written and I saw the need to add more books to the list and so I did. With assistance from my Advisory Board consisting of Lucas Garrett, Barry Reese and Andrew Salmon I added ten more books to the list and so now you’re getting reading to read  35 NEW PULP BOOKS TO GET YOU STARTED. My intention is to add to the list yearly until I get up to 100 and then call it quits. After all, if you can’t find something worth reading in a pack of 100 books then maybe you just don’t like to read.

Again I feel compelled to remind one and all that this list is not intended to slight anybody as many of you have egos as fragile as spider webs (you know who you are) and are more than capable of taking it as a personal insult that your book isn’t on the list. Such is not my purpose or pursuit. This list is intended only to be a helpful starting point for those who have no idea of where to start reading New Pulp. Okay? We clear on that? Good.

One last bit of business and then we’ll get to the list itself: My only criteria here was to have diversity in genres and writing styles. You’ll find a wide range of New Pulp represented here in various genres. And yes, I have read all of the books on this list as I would not recommend any of them to you unless I had done so.

Okay? Okay. So let’s get on with it. If you’ve never read any New Pulp and are anxious to find out for yourself what it’s all about then here are 35 NEW PULP BOOKS TO GET YOU STARTED:


SGT. JANUS, SPIRIT BREAKER by Jim Beard
FIGHT CARD: FELONY FISTS by Paul Bishop (writing as Jack Tunney)
LIE CATCHERS by Paul Bishop
THE REVENGE OF THE MASKED GHOST by Kevin Paul Shaw Broden
DILLON AND THE VOICE OF ODIN by Derrick Ferguson
GREEN LAMA UNBOUND by Adam L. Garcia
THE GREEN LAMA: CRIMSON CIRCLE by Adam L. Garcia
CREEPING DAWN: THE RISE OF THE BLACK CENTIPEDE by Chuck Miller
THE MYTH HUNTER: THE LOST CONTINENT by Percival Constantine
BROTHER BONES by Ron Fortier
TAURUS MOON by Keith Gaston
YESTERYEAR by Tommy Hancock
TALES OF THE VAGABOND BARDS by Nancy Hansen
DIRE PLANET by Joel Jenkins
SIX DAYS OF THE DRAGON by Roman Leary
PROHIBITION by Terrence McCauley
EVIL WAYS by Bobby Nash
FIGHT CARD: THE CUTMAN by Mel Odom (writing as Jack Tunney)
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AFRIKA by Balogun Ojetade
THE STEIN AND CANDLE DETECTIVE AGENCY VOL I. by Michael Panush
HAWK: HAND OF THE MACHINE by Van Allen Plexico
SENTINELS I: WHEN STRIKES THE WARLORD by Van Allen Plexico
THE OLD MAN Series by William Preston
THE PEREGRINE OMNIBUS VOL. I by Barry Reese
PULP HEROES: MORE THAN MORTAL by Wayne Reinagle
THE VRIL AGENDA by Joshua Reynolds and Derrick Ferguson
THE LIGHT OF MEN by Andrew Salmon
DAMBALLAH by Charles Saunders
HEIR OF ATLANTIS by Arthur Sippo
THE AUSLANDER FILES by Michael Patrick Sullivan
BASS REEVES, FRONTIER MARSHAL, VOL I. by Various Authors
BLACK PULP by Various Authors
HOW THE WEST WAS WEIRD by Various Authors
LEGENDS OF NEW PULP FICTION by Various Authors
THE RUBY FILES by Various Authors










12 comments:

  1. Thank you, kind and thoughtful sir, for adding my works to your list.

    Peace,

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you were on the list way back in 2014, bro.

      Delete
    2. I'm hoping to have one more for folks.

      Thanks again, man.

      Delete
    3. Thank YOU. And I'm sure I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting more stories from you.

      Delete
  2. I've read a good number of these and I'd concur on this list, given the reputation those I've not read as being sterling examples of the genre as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your seal of approval, Rob. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Derrick. I saw you post to Facebook about this and couldn't believe how fantastic this is. As a new-pulp virgin, so to speak and a fledgling Fight Card writer, I'm always searching for the best to read in the genre as I start my career. I know a lot of the Fight Card guys are on your list: Andrew, yourself, Balogun, Terrence, Bobby, Ron, and of course, our fearless leaders, Paul and Mel. I have read most of their books and edited some. So I know the quality of the FC line of books. Thanks for the list. I hope you don't mind if I reference your page in my blog or Facebook page. Thank you so much for the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't mind at all. The list is supposed to to passed around far and wide. And I'm delighted that you think it will be personally useful to you as well.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, none of my books are listed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not listed specifically, but Legends made the list. As usual Derrick has combed thousands of titles for the gems. I'll be sharing this post, I can vouch for a lot of these, others will make the list by and by. Thank you Mr. Ferguson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not listed specifically, but Legends made the list. As usual Derrick has combed thousands of titles for the gems. I'll be sharing this post, I can vouch for a lot of these, others will make the list by and by. Thank you Mr. Ferguson.

    ReplyDelete