Monday, June 29, 2015

Kickin' The Willy Bobo With...KIPJO K. EWERS

Derrick Ferguson: Who is Kipjo K. Ewers?

Kipjo K. Ewers: I am a first generation born of Jamaican descent from two of the greatest parents a kid like me could ever have. They kept me on the straight and narrow, while not wanting for anything. They pushed the value of a good education, being a good person, and reaching for whatever goals I aspired to as long as it did not hurt others. Formerly from Mount Vernon, I went to Catholic school all my life from grade school to college. As a kid growing up, I was heavily into martial arts, comic books, professional wrestling, Kung Fu movies, anime, writing and storytelling. My brothers and I would use either our G.I Joes or Transformers and play out these complex storylines that sometimes lasted all day and into our next play day. 

Now that I am older I’m still into martial arts though not as heavy (big fan of MMA and the UFC).  I’m a sword collector (I have my own set of Conan Father and Atlantean swords from the Arnold movie among others). I still watch anime from time to time, and I collect comics although I’m more selective with what I collect. I also make kitbash action figures; basically you take a base model twelve inch action figure and customize it. It’s a pretty cool and expensive hobby. I made my own Gen 13 characters, and a Dark Knight movie version of Batgirl. My other hobby is 3D artwork, I use programs like Poser Pro (2012 and 2014), DAZ 3D, and Photoshop Element to create them. I’m also a huge Star Wars fan, and will be dressing like a Jedi for the upcoming movie. So all in all I am a big Jamaican-American geek.



DF: Where do you live and what do you do to keep the bill collectors away?

KKE: I reside with my lovely wife in New Jersey.  I currently work in Risk Management Corporate Banking.

DF: Tell us a little something about your background.

KKE: I went to college for Business Administration while minoring in English. I self-taught myself 3D digital artwork because I wanted to put visuals to some of the ideas in my head. I’ve been doing my own artwork for about eight years.

DF: How long have you been writing?

KKE: I’ve been writing since I was seven years old, sporadically in my teens and young adult years. I never really published anything until now. I wrote a comic book with my younger brother who is currently an artist when I was twelve (we didn’t have a title for that one).  The story was about four of his superhero characters and one of mine which I called Infra Man. He was a Japanese anime version of Iron Man. I believe the plot of the story was that they were trying to stop some type of invasion. 

The second comic book we worked on with our cousin who was the designated ink man was titled “Letterman”. The hero “Letterman” was based off of a rap song from K-Solo. I remember finding the book a couple of years ago buried in our old room in our parent’s house and still being impressed with what we did. The first two novels I tried to write were titled “Armageddon Bioborg” and “The Dragon Princess”. I never finished either, but I still have them, and might complete and publish them one day. I wrote matches for wrestling e-feds, which are like versions of fantasy football. It was a simple hobby, but I realized now how much it kept my writing skills sharp by creating storylines and sometimes writing out full matches. Won me a slew of championships, I even have a couple of actual championship belt trophies that were mailed to me.

DF: What’s your philosophy of writing?

KKE: I like to write like I'm doing a movie, and when you shoot a movie you don't always shoot the first scene. Sometimes you shoot the end, the middle, that's how I like to write until I get a full chapter. I separate the chapters into different word documents so I don't confuse myself.

Afterwards, when I have written all of the chapters in full, I just combine them, adding and taking stuff out, until the story slowly comes together and becomes one. After that I can usually do two or three edits and then I send it to a professional editor.

I believe in writing from my soul and heart and not compromising or apologizing for anything. Writers I believe that don't compromise their work, and write with raw passion are the best and most powerful types of writers, as long as they're getting a message across, and it makes sense to the story.

I also believe in having fun with my writing. It's supposed to be fun. You’re creating worlds, characters, and having adventures. So I just play! Because the more fun I have, the more I believe people will enjoy what I wrote!

DF: What are your influences?

KKE: I’ve read all of the Robotech novels that were written by Jack McKinney, which in my opinion were way better than the anime series. I am also a fan of Shakespeare, “A Midsummer Night's Dream” is one of my favorite stories from him. For comic books it’s Stan “The Man” Lee of course. Geoff John’s magnificent run of the Green Lantern’s “Blackest Night Series” is what actually got me back into comic books. I also loved Greg Pak’s work, especially his run with Marvel’s Hulk.

Finally as both a writer and director I have to say Kevin Smith. I saw “Clerks” at a friend’s house when I was in college, and I have been a fan of his work ever since. I’ve seen all of his movies, and two of his Q&A sessions. Watching “Too Fat for 40” and “Kevin Smith: Burn in Hell”, where actually what finally pushed me over the edge to both write and publish something. Hearing about how his father died, and about how you have to have passion about what you do before you die is what struck a chord with me.

DF: What audience are you trying to reach with your work? Is there an audience for Kipjo K. Ewers?

KKE: My novel is for fans of superheroes, science fiction, and action adventure. People who have already read it have said they enjoyed the thriller aspect to it, and others love the characters personality wise both good and bad. It’s a thinking person’s superhero origin story that turns left when you think it’s turning right.

DF: What is The EVO Universe?  How and when did you create it?

KKE: The EVO Universe is an expanding superhuman universe within my novel series “The First”, which was created after the events of the first book. EVO is the term used for superhuman in the story, which is the next step of evolution of man. 



DF: Tell us about the character of Sophia Dennison.

KKE: The character Sophia Dennison is a normal woman, with normal dreams of having a career, wanting a loving marriage with children, and then one day her normal world is ripped away and destroyed through no fault of her own. Then after four years of being powerless and suffering her world literally comes to an end. Except by a miracle of sorts, as her old world came to an end, she was reborn so to speak with amazing powers and abilities. She uses these new abilities to escape prison, and find out who turned her old world upside down.

DF: Tell us about THE FIRST

KKE: “The First” is a superhero origin story of Sophia Dennison. Wrongly tried and convicted of the murder of her husband, she is executed in Texas via lethal injection. However Sophia does not die, she resurrects with superhuman strength, overpowering several correctional officers until she is brutally gunned down. But to everyone’s shock and dismay, she resurrects again. Completely healed, this time she is bullet proof and much stronger than her first death. She breaks out of prison and is on the run where she learns about her abilities and hunts for the answers as to who framed her for her husband’s murder.

DF: Tell us about THE FIRST: EVO UPRISING

KKE: “The First: EVO Uprising” is the aftermath of “The First” eight years later. Due to Sophia’s indirect actions of saving the West Coast she has changed the world. Through her, many people across the planet have been gifted with superhuman abilities. Some use their abilities for good taking up the mantel of heroes, others for evil becoming villains, while others join and form super human military units within their respective countries building towards another possible Cold War. Unable to fit in with the race she was once a part of, and unwilling to embrace the race she created, she lives a life of semi-isolation using her power and abilities to help people as she sees fit taking no mantle. However a new threat to the planet will force her to not only confront several spectrums of her past, but her possible destiny.



DF: Where does the story of Sophia Dennison go from here?

KKE: Right now I am holding off on writing the third novel to work on a spin-off novel for one of the major characters in the second novel. It will be titled “Eye of Ra”.  I imagine more adventures for Sophia in the near future and the further expansion of the EVO Universe with many more characters.



DF: What’s A Day In The Life of Kipjo K. Ewers like?

KKE: Rise and shine at 7 AM in the morning, breakfast either at home or at work depending on the time. Off to work in a corporate office, hit the gym for forty-five minutes, and then home after 5 PM. When I get home the fun begins. I spend some time with the Mrs., get on the computer to either work on my artwork or write. Right now I’m just taking time from writing to promote the novel as much as possible and get in the faces as many readers as I can. 

Derrick Ferguson: Anything else we should know?

Kipjo K. Ewers: Currently we’re in the works of doing an actual comic book series on “The First” that we hope to release in 2016. We will soon be re-releasing the alternate cover novel with a new cover, and added digital content. It will contain some concept artwork of characters from the novel, and a digital comic preview of Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 that readers can re-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment