Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop



I got tagged by Bobby Nash for this and it seemed like a good idea. 

So here are “The Rules:” answer these ten questions about your current WIP (Work In Progress) on your blog. Tag five writers/bloggers and add links to their pages so we can hop along to them next.


Okay…here we go:

Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing:

What is the working title of your book?
The Vril Agenda. I’m co-writing it with Joshua Reynolds. He’s already done his part; “The Coming Race” which takes place in 1937. I’m 27,000 words into my part; “Vril-Ya!”

Where did the idea come from for the book?
My desire to have Dillon, a New Pulp hero have ties to and acknowledge the history and tradition of Classic Pulp heroes that he is trying to emulate and live up to. I thought it would be a cool idea for Dillon to seek out retired Classic Pulp heroes and receive training from them in specialized areas. Since Jim Anthony was renowned as a hunter of men and detective, Dillon looks him up first. It also was an opportunity to work with Joshua Reynolds as we had been talking for years about doing a project together.

What genre does your book fall under?
New Pulp.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I’ve had people tell me they think Taye Diggs or Idris Elba would be a perfect Dillon. I myself like Henry Simmons. As for the older Jim Anthony…Russell Crowe is the first face that pops into my head.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Classic Pulp meets New Pulp as two heroes come together in an epic meeting to defeat an enemy that transcends time!

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
It’s a joint publishing venture between Pulpwork Press and Airship 27 so I guess you could say it’s half self-published. And no, I’m not represented by an agent or agency. I’ve come to believe that agents are like UFO’s and The Loch Ness Monster: mythical creatures that people claim to have seen but actually don’t exist.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I’m writing it now. It’s going a lot more smoothly than usual first drafts because I’ve had the entire story in my head for so long. And it helps that I have an extra brain on tap. Whenever I hit a spot I’m not sure of or a plot point I’ve forgotten, Josh is only a Skype call or email away.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
If you like books written by Lester Dent, Clive Cussler or George C. Chesbro then you’ll like this one.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
First off, to do what I always set out to do: tell an exciting, entertaining story that a reader can get lost in and forget about the real world for a while. On a larger scale I wanted to explore and expand Dillon’s background. Josh has coined a great name for him at this stage of his career: “Not Ready For Prime Time Dillon” and to a great extent, that’s true. We can see flashes of the character we’ve come to know in “Dillon and The Pirates of Xonira” or “Dillon and The Legend of The Golden Bell” but at the same time he’s very untested and not as hardened by the world. It’s been very interesting for me writing a younger Dillon who doesn’t have all his guns, gadgets and sidekicks supporting him and is stripped down to relying solely on his brains and physical abilities.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
It’s a pivotal adventure in Dillon’s career and if readers have enjoyed seeing him in his present day adventures then they’ll certainly enjoy a look back at when he first started out. And this is a major crossover involving a Classic Pulp hero and a New Pulp hero on an epic, wide-screen summer blockbuster Dolby 5.1 surround sound level. I think readers are going to be just as excited reading it as I am writing it.

5 comments: